Published on April 14th, 2012 | by The Food Lover0
Quinoa Salad With Broiled Salmon – Cooked Stress Free With A Dash Of Yoga
Giving is fun and satisfying. No matter how hard we may strive throughout the our lives to fulfill all our desires there is no denying the fact, that when the going is good, its great to give and live for others. Giving doesn’t have to be only in the form of financial incentives. It can also be through service, support and upliftment of a particular cause.
In many cultures around the world, cooking and preparing food to feed others is considered to be a good deed and one that brings tremendous joy. However, our lives are so busy and filled with distractions these days that cooking for your own self is hard to do, let alone cooking for others. This can be the case if you deem cooking to be a chore in which scenario one is more likely to eat in restaurants and consume ready-made food. However, while such food can be good to taste and even healthy it will always lack one ingredient, LOVE.
If you observe the great chefs like Gordon Ramsay, or even the best contestants on shows like Masterchef you will find that what sets them apart from the rest is their attitude towards cooking. Cooking can be stressful for some people, but with the right frame of mind it is possible to be more “at OM in the kitchen”. Cooking like Yoga is a meditative process and if you can stay present and focused on chopping, stirring, prepping, etc., the experience can be a wonderful way to relax and make delicious meals for your self and your loved ones. Cooking in-fact has excellent therapeutic potential and provides value physically, cognitively, socially and intrapersonally.
In this special feature, queen yogini Kristin Mcgee shares a recipe for a mouth watering Quinoa Salad With Broiled Salmon. What makes this recipe is special is not only the fact that it is healthy and good for the heart but also that it is made using a zen like approach to cooking. One where the mind is calm and the focus is only on creating a great dish.
Quinoa Salad With Broiled Salmon
Quinoa Salad – Ingredients
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and cooked according to package directions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 garlic clove sliced thinly
- 3/4 cup corn, 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- Handful of fresh basil, roughly chopped
- Juice of one lemon, salt and pepper to taste
Quinoa Salad – Directions
- Heat olive oil in skillet and sauté garlic until translucent
- Add the corn and cook about 3 minutes until heated
- Turn the skillet off and add the chopped cherry tomatoes
- Add cooked quinoa to the skillet and stir
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice all over dish and add chopped basil
Quinoa alone is a great dish which can also act as a side to any protein such as scallops, salmon, chicken, pork or any white fish. The best thing about this dish is that it is proven to be heart healthy. It is a low glycemic grain that is satiating, easy to cook, and lasts well in the refrigerator. Quinoa is a complete protein, can be served cold or warm and can be made with different variations.
Broiled Salmon – Ingredients
- Salmon filets, lemons
- Fresh dill, olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Broiled Salmon – Directions: Approximate cooking time is 7-12 minutes
- Slice lemons into rings and place on a baking sheet.
- Top with fresh dill sprigs
- Drizzle salmon with olive oil and rub in.
- Season with salt and pepper and place on top of lemons and dill on baking sheet.
- Place on middle rack in preheated oven set at 450 degrees on broil
How did you like this recipe of Quinoa Salad with Broiled Salmon? Did you like Kristin Mcgee’s unique approach to cooking? Share your thoughts by leaving a comment.